Argos Print Header


Reporting A Bereavement

How can we help and support you

We understand it's a difficult time when you lose someone close to you, so we want to make dealing with any financial matters as simple as possible.

Ways to notify us

Write to us
Argos Financial Services,
Dept C,
PO Box 211
Park Mill

Should you write to us, if you can please enclose a copy of the Death Certificate (a photocopy is acceptable). In addition, a covering letter including the details of the account holder along with any details of the Executor and, or details from yourself, if you are the Administrator should we need to get in touch.

By Phone
If you'd prefer to speak to someone you can contact us on 03456 400 700 – We're available 8.00am-6.00pm Monday to Saturday, Sunday 10.00am-6.00pm.

When you call us please make sure, if available you have any details for the account holder ready to hand, along with the death certificate and details of the Executor (if applicable).

We may ask you for your details as the informant, please be aware these details will be kept in accordance with General data protection and will only be used by ourselves or our third-party partners who assist with deceased accounts. Please be assured that your details will not be used for marketing purposes.

What will happen next

Where the primary card holder has passed away and we've verified this, we'll add a restriction to prevent the card being used. Any interest accruing will be stopped, and we'll stop the monthly statements going out. If there is a credit balance on the account, we'll send a cheque to the Executor once checks have been completed. We will contact the Executor, or the Administrator we have on file if any further information is required.

Once all checks have been completed on the account a letter will be issued confirming what actions have been taken. Some letters addressed to the account holder may have been automatically generated in the meantime before you have called us. We're very sorry for any distress this causes.

Additional information and support

We understand you may need additional information, so we've compiled some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), a Glossary and links to other websites which offer Financial or Emotional support during this difficult time.

Whilst we provide links to access non-Argos websites, we don't control their content, which may change over time, and therefore accept no liability for your use of them.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What if the deceased party is the additional card holder on the account?
    If the deceased party is an authorised user on the account and not the primary card holder, we'll need the primary card holder to contact us so that we can update our records.
  • What if the deceased party had Nectar Points?
    Nectar points are classed as part of the deceased's estate, and can be passed on to beneficiaries, whether specifically referenced in the will or not.

    Next of kin would need to contact Nectar to arrange for the points of someone who has passed to be transferred to another account. You can reach Nectar by calling 0344 811 0811. For other ways to contact Nectar, including live chat please visit Nectar's website.
  • I have already informed you and I'm still awaiting an update
    Thank you again for letting us know, we apologise if there have been any delays in getting back to you. If you have been contacted by our third-party partner Philips & Cohen you can reach them by calling 0333 555 1501. Otherwise you can contact our team and we will be happy to help.
  • Who is Philips & Cohen?
    Phillips & Cohen are our bereavement partner and they're the UK's only dedicated deceased account management business, offering support and guidance to help resolve outstanding accounts.


  • Administrator: The person appointed to manage an Estate when there isn't a Will, or when the Executor is unable, or unwilling, to act. The administrator can also be referred to as the deceased's personal representative. This person is normally a family member or close friend of the deceased.
  • Confirmation of the Estate: In Scotland, this is the legal document obtained from the court after a death. It's the equivalent to the Grant of Probate obtained in England and Wales.
  • Death Certificate: The Death Certificate is a legal document issued by the Registrar when a person dies. It's a copy of the signed entry in the death register, and confirms the date, cause, and location of death.
  • Estate: This is the total value of everything an individual owns, such as money, property and possessions, and everything that's registered in their name, less any debts.
  • Executor:This is the person named in a Will, who carries out the wishes outlined in that Will.
  • Grant of Probate (GOP): This is an official document that confirms the Will is valid together with the names the Executors who are legally entitled to administer the Estate and to follow its wishes.
  • Letters of Administration / Grant of Letters of Administration: An official court document that proves you have the authority to deal with the deceased's Estate. This allows the personal representative the right to manage the Estate when there's no Will.
  • Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD):
    When someone dies, a doctor involved in their care completes a medical certificate of cause of death. It details the cause of death and you need it to register the death. The Death Certificate will be given to you after the death has been registered.
  • Personal Representative: The person responsible for dealing with the Estate of someone who's died, either the Executor, administrator or the next of kin.
  • Power of Attorney: A power of attorney is a legal document where someone appoints a person to act on their behalf or represent them. It's drawn up when you have the capacity to do so.

    It gives another person, known as the attorney, the authority to deal with aspects of your affairs. This could relate to financial/property matters and/or personal welfare.

    There are different types of power of attorney, and they differ between England and Wales and Northern Ireland and Scotland, so you need to be aware of that.
  • Probate: This refers to the legal right to deal with a deceased person's affairs. It's sometimes called 'administering the Estate'.
  • Probate Registry: The name of the public body responsible for issuing grants of probate and grants of letters of administration. There are local District Probate Registries around the UK.
  • Trustee: An individual given control or powers of administration of property in trust with a legal obligation to administer it solely for the purposes specified.

Financial Information & Advice

  • Tell Us Once >
    Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.
  • The Probate Service >
    For guidance specifically on dealing with probate and inheritance tax - and a good source for downloading documents.
  • The General Register Office >
    The General Register Office holds records of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships, stillbirths and adoptions in England and Wales.
  • The General Register Office – Northern Ireland >
    The General Register Office for Northern Ireland holds records of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships, stillbirths, and adoptions in Northern Ireland.
  • The National Records of Scotland >
    The National Records of Scotland store records of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships, divorces, stillbirths - they're also responsible for the Scottish national archives, which contain government documents and public records.
  • HM Revenue & Customs >
    The best place to find Government Services and Information.
  • The National Will Register >
    Certainty Will Search and Will Registration is exclusively recommended by key organisations and used by thousands of solicitors, the public, charities and financial institutions to register Wills and search for Wills.
  • MoneyHelper >
    MoneyHelper offers free and impartial advice to help you manage your money and make the most of your finances.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau >
    Citizens Advice offers free legal information and impartial advice on a variety of topics, including contacts for counselling.

Emotional Information and Advice

  • Cruse Bereavement Care >
    Cruse provide specialist bereavement experts that can offer support in coping with grief following the death of someone close.
  • Facing Bereavement >
    Provides expert guidance and advice for the bereaved.
  • Mind >
    Provides information on bereavement, where to go for support, and suggestions for helping yourself and others through grief.
  • Samaritans >
    The Samaritans provide support for anyone who's struggling to cope, or who needs someone to listen without judgement or pressure.